Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Country Crossroads Quilt Guild


After seeing the 5th HeartStrings quilt (pictured above) from Joanne and her guild I asked her to write a brief note telling us about the HeartStrings quilts they've been making. This is what she wrote:

The Country Crossroads Quilt Guild of Forreston, Illinois does a special charity project every 3 years. (We are a small guild of about 60 members).

This year it was decided to donate quilts to the Rockford Rescue Mission. The RRM requested twin size quilts. I made a string quilt using the Heartstrings Quilt Project guidelines, quilted it on my new longarm (quilting on charity quilts is great practice), and brought it to guild to donate.

I suggested to the members that if they wanted to make the Heartstring blocks, I'd assemble them, quilt and bind them and hopefully bring one back every month. One month I used 50 blocks that were donated to the project and sent to me by Sue, but every other month the guild has managed to make enough for a quilt.

I received October's donation of 90+ blocks and have the first quilt on the longarm now. The extra blocks will be made into a smaller quilt to be donated to one member's husband, who is a county deputy sheriff, to keep in his squad car to comfort a child when needed. The twin size will be the 6th quilt we've made this year for RRM.

No comments: